[uClinux-dev] ucLinux and XIP memory savings

Wolfgang Wegner wolfgang at leila.ping.de
Thu Jul 4 08:52:32 EDT 2013

Hi,

it is quite some time ago since I tried XIP on uClinux/Coldfire, but
could not get it to run. I do not recall which exact problem I had,
because I was fine without it in the end.

What is it you want to achieve? Is XIP the only possible option?

In my case, I was hoping to reduce startup and boot time in general,
and I ended up with a different compression scheme for the kernel
and rootfs (U-Boot images), because load time from flash and
decompression were what really made my system slow. And, even more,
flash access time becomes an even more critical factor when using
XIP.

On the other hand, my system was quite specialized with only one
application running being started on boot and only terminated in
case of power failure or watchdog reset. ;-) However, this might
be a common scenario for many embedded applications.

Just asking, because memory is not a cost factor any more in most
cases, so maybe focusing on XIP is not the way to go, especially
considering flash access being slower than DRAM in most cases
anyways.

Best regards,
Wolfgang