[uClinux-dev] QEMU and ColdFire

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Fri Sep 28 02:34:31 EDT 2012

Hi All,

It seems QEMU has support for ColdFire, has anyone here been using it?

It seems it is a little broken when trying to run the very most recent
linux kernels. Here are some patches that will fix that:

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-09/msg01954.html
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-09/msg02099.html
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-09/msg01956.html

Those patches applied to the latest qemu git tree, though I suspect
they should apply to v1.2 qemu source without too much trouble.

Then you can emulate a ColdFire M5208EVB board and run current kernels
on it. I have been running linux-3.5 kernels.

If you don't want to start up with gdb support then you need to generate
a kernel object that contains an initrd (which is not normally generated
by the uClinux-dist build system). With that you then simply run it
with:

   qemu-system-m68k -nographic -machine mcf5208evb -kernel vmlinux

Could be kinda useful.

Greg Ungerer  --  Principal Engineer        EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Group, McAfee                      PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888
8 Gardner Close                             FAX:         +61 7 3217 5323
Milton, QLD, 4064, Australia                WEB: http://www.SnapGear.com