[uClinux-dev] 68K GNU Compiler

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Aug 3 09:42:14 EDT 2012

On 08/03/2012 03:34 PM, Luis Alves wrote:
> Since the volatile tells exactly that you want to use registers during
> the manipulation of those variables, so I'm not surprised that it
> doesn't change memory contents directly.

Ooops.

AFAIK, "volatile" means something like:
"this memory location is monitored or modified by another thread or by
hardware and thus any write and read needs to be done just as the c code
denotes and no read or write access is allowed to be be optimized away".

But maybe I am wrong here and in fact the idiot is myself and not the
compiler :-[ .

I'll check this out with my compiler version.

Thanks a lot !
-Michael