[uClinux-dev] Compiler question

Philip Nye philipn at engarts.com
Fri Nov 12 09:55:30 EST 2010

Convention has it that to build a cross compiler from scratch you need to do
it twice - stage-1 is a restricted version to build the target library, the
stage-2 is a full generic compiler. However, I don't know the workings of
GCC sufficiently well to fully understand this.

In all my uClinux projects, I have the library (uClibc) integrated with the
project and have it configured and compiled differently for different
projects. I then point the compiler explicitly at the project's uClibc build
using command line switches. (including -nostdlib etc.)

In this situation is there any benefit to carrying out the second compiler
pass? What about C++ - can that be built with the first stage compiler?

Philip