[uClinux-dev] Get RT73 driver to work on 2.4 or try to move to 2.6? ARM7 from Nuvoton

Sima Baymani sima.spam at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 07:31:06 EDT 2010

I'm back - had a few demos and other crisises (sp?) to take care of
inbetween.

What I've done:
1. Checked the voltage of the wifi-card: it seems to be fine. There are four
pins on the card GND, D+, D- and VDD. I measured between GND and VDD (only
have a multimeter unfortunately) and it shows 3.3V. So that seems ok. But
the problem remains...

2. I've activated some debug prints in order to understand the USB flow on
boot, though it's too messy atm to publish here. If I backtrack a bit to my
first bootlog:
hub.c: USB hub found

hub.c: 2 ports detected

As I understand it, the 2 ports detected are the two physical ports on my
board? Because I was not sure whether the hub itself is counted as a device,
i.e. has port and device address.
Also if I look at this piece of log
new USB device
:807ef804-7e68c0

hub.c: new USB device 1, assigned address
2
Manufacturer: Sonix Technology Co.,
Ltd.
Product: USB 2.0
Camera
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0xc45/0x62f1) is not claimed by any active
driver.

hub.c discovers a device_1 and usb.c reports on a device_2. I haven't yet
read up on how the numbering works for devices and buses on USB, but might
it be so that hub.c discovers something (device_1) that does not get passed
on to usb.c because something is not correct? Or might it be so that
device_1 and device_2 are the same, just that hub.c and usb.c use different
counter?

3. I have tried to use different HCI drivers, the original in the
configuration was OHCI, but I have also tried a UHCI alternative. No change
what I saw. I'm not sure what the differences are, though, in
reality/practice I mean. Are they totally different implementations/APIs for
different types of chipsets - i.e. they can not be used interchangeably?

4. I was sent (and also found on LinuxJournal) a snippet of code with a call
like this:
    edata.cmd = ETHTOOL_GLINK;
    edata.data = 0;
    memset(&ifr, 0, sizeof(ifr));
    strncpy(ifr.ifr_name, if_name, sizeof(ifr.ifr_name) - 1);
    ifr.ifr_data = (char *) &edata;
    if (( skfd = socket( AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0 )) == 0)
        return -1;
    if(ioctl( skfd, SIOCETHTOOL, &ifr ) == -1)
    {
        close(skfd);
        return -1;
    }
    close(skfd);
    return edata.data;

As I understood the LJ article, this is used to know whether the link is up
or not. It won't help if the device isn't even discovered by the kernel. I
admit I haven't tested the code, but bring it up here to understand more.

Just thinking out aloud a bit here, to clarify my thoughts for myself, any
comments are welcome!

-Sima