[uClinux-dev] Forum for distributing uClinux based projects

Dave Rensberger drensber at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 13:59:54 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here has any opinions or insights on the topic of what would be the best forum to use to distribute a uClinux based project.  I've been working on an mp3-player appliance that runs a server that can be controlled locally via an C-API.  On top of the C-API, I've written a simple XML/HTTP interface that can be used by applications on the network.  I also provide a very simple AJAX-style web UI that uses the XML interface.  This is something like the commercial product Sonos, but with a simpler interface, and fewer features (for now anyway).   It's x86 right now, but should be portable to other architectures, since everything is built from source.

In the past few months, I've been cleaning up the code and stabilizing the internal C-API, as well as the upper layer XML API, and once I feel comfortable with these, I'd like to turn it into an open source project.   I'm not sure what would be the best way to distribute this type of project, though.  I know that uClinux-dist itself is on SourceForge, but I'm not sure about systems that are built on uClinux.  Is SourceForge an appropriate forum for this kind of thing, or is there something else that would be better suited?  I'd ideally also like to distribute a small virtual-machine image, so that people could see a working example without having to install a boot-able image... does anyone know if SourceForge or other open-source forums would prohibit distributing binary VM images?

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
--Dave