[uClinux-dev] building gcc 3.4.4

Jeff Bacon jbac.uc.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 18:29:56 EDT 2009

Ok, so I've figured out that it has to point to my specific headers to
compile, and I've made it through almost all of the steps EXCEPT for
one of the last ones, step 8(repeated here):

8. gcc-3.4.4 (c++, etc)

   tar xvzf gcc-3.4.4.tar.gz
   cd gcc-3.4.4

   cp $(ATTACHED t-linux file) gcc/config/arm/
   vi gcc/config/arm/t-linux
      - remove all "-Dinhibit_libc" occruances
   vi gcc/config/arm/linux-elf.h
     -- remove line that defines LIBGCC_SPEC
   perl -pi -e 's/int namelen/unsigned int namelen/'
libjava/java/net/natInetAddressPosix.cc

   mkdir arm-linux
   cd arm-linux
   ../configure --target=arm-linux --disable-shared \
	--prefix=/usr/local --with-headers=linux-2.4.x/include \
	--with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-multilib
   make
   make install

The compilation makes it almost all the way through until it hits the
section where it's working on libstdc++-v3, where it dies with this
error:

<snip>
checking for float.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
checking for main in -lm... configure: error: Link tests are not
allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
make: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
[root at localhost arm-linux]#

I'm so close I can taste it, can anyone (Greg??) help me out here? I'm
following Greg's instructions EXACTLY, so if anyone else has then they
would have had to have seen this error I would think. I'm building it
on the recommended Fedora Core 3 machine by the way...

-JB