[uClinux-dev] Threading and synchronization questions

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sat Feb 28 15:07:09 EST 2009

On Saturday 28 February 2009 14:16:30 Jamie Lokier wrote:
> (I still haven't figured out if it's safe to use vfork with shared
> libraries and lazy procedure lookup... doesn't apply for Jan's ARM
> with no shared libraries of course).

why wouldnt it ?  there isnt any locking or such in the resolver, and it isnt
like there are "speculative lookups" done randomly.  there is an issue on
Blackfin with thread safety, but that is only because we lack 64bit atomic
load/stores and the FDPIC PLT is a 64bit descriptor.

> > (like daemonizing code)
>
> It is possible to daemonize on uClinux without exec'ing a new process,
> using clone() instead of vfork().  I have a version of the daemon()
> function which does that, which I posted to the Busybox bug tracker
> years ago; I should really submit it to uClibc.

that'd be cool actually
-mike