[uClinux-dev] Most stable 2.4.x kernel for ARM

David McCullough David_Mccullough at securecomputing.com
Tue Feb 24 18:41:49 EST 2009

Jivin Jamie Lokier lays it down ...
> Michael Schnell wrote:
> >
> > >Certainly, on 2.4, you cannot find suitable settings in a standard 2.4
> > >kernel.  Only the patched uClinux 2.4 kernel works, and I had to patch
> > >it some more.
> > >
> > I suppose v2.6 offers more on that behalf.
>
> It does, but the page_alloc2.c allocator option in 2.4 seems to be
> absent in 2.6.  A cursory look suggests 2.6 has no equivalent
> functionality, but I stress the "cursory" :-)

There is no equivalent AFAIK.  There were some people doing things like this
for earlt 2.6 versions.  Patches were posted to this list (years ago now I
guess),  but they never stabilised enough for use or inclusion.

The good news is that with 3 allocators in the 2.6 kernel (slab/slob/slub),
the interface and requirements should be a lot more defined to allow creation
of yet another that works like the old page_alloc2,  if that is what is
needed.

David McCullough,  david_mccullough at securecomputing.com,  Ph:+61 734352815
McAfee - SnapGear  http://www.snapgear.com                http://www.uCdot.org