[uClinux-dev] Most stable 2.4.x kernel for ARM

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Feb 20 07:51:43 EST 2009

> In my particular case kernel uses all available RAM (~10MB) for disk
> cache and releases it only in ~15 seconds. Other applications cannot
> be started if one reads large files from disk. I do not experience
> this problem with 2.4.17 kernel.

AFAIK, the Kernel _should_ reduce the disk cache as soon as memory is
needed for other purposes (e.g. starting an application). Of course this
might take some time for writing back the uncommitted blocks, but of
course _much_ less than 15 seconds.

AFAIK, there are several settable (maybe when compiling, maybe at run
time) parameters that define the disk cache behavior. Did you take a
look at those ?

-Michael