[uClinux-dev] howto generate Kconfig files from Config.in for busybox

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Fri Feb 13 01:29:03 EST 2009

Hi Michael,

Michael Schnell wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> ive tried convincing the uClinux-dist guys to use some of the
>> methodologies that we've adopted in the Blackfin uClinux dist, but it
>> doesnt look like it's going to happen, so ive given up :/
>>
> Mike, Thomas, Greg.
>
> I always wondered why there are dedicated "Blackfin" and "NIOS" versions
> of uCinux-dist (maintained in dedicated mailing lists) and seemingly a
> "common" version (maintained here), plus seemingly completely separate
> stuff for ARM and still other stuff for X86 (no knowledge  here at all
> about PPC and whatever additional archs existing).

I have wondered this as well :-)

At the end of the day this is open source. Anyone can take it
and develop it and republish an any way they want. It takes a
significant amount of effort to polish and send patches back
for inclusion into the uClinux-dist. Many people decide not
to bother.

> I understand that NIOS was derived from Blackfin.

There are quite a few "branched" trees out there. I got a good
laugh a year or so back when I was looking at vendor support for
a processor that I was looking at using - and the "Linux BSP"
package they sent was in fact a modified uClinux-dist!

> Seemingly there are efforts done on optionally supporting MMU with
> multiple archs.

The uClinux-dist has supported processors with an MMU for a lot of
years. So this is not a uClinux-dist issue as such. This is purely
up to the people who work on a particular processor.

> What is the cause a reunion is not planned ?

Anyone is welcome to send patches to this list for uClinux-dist
at any time... (But of course they may or may not end up being
included after consideration).

Greg Ungerer  --  Principal Engineer        EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear, a McAfee Company                  PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888