[uClinux-dev] Build SMP uClinux on NIOS II processors

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Feb 13 07:12:50 EST 2009

Hao Shen wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> I would like to have an SMP uClinux running on the multilple NIOS II
> processors architecture (with or without cache coherence).
You might want to discuss this on the NIOS2 uCLinux mailing list:
nios2-dev at sopc.et.ntust.edu.tw .

Did you already solve the appropriate hardware issues ?

I suppose you _can_ add multiples NIOS processors to the Avalon bus
using the SOPC-Builder.

But for SMP they would need to access a common memory and here you need
to take care of cache consistence. AFAIK, this is not supported at all
with the current NIOS Altera ip Core. So you would need to switch off
the data cache completely, resulting in a very slow system. Maybe on top
of this, you can do a cache design of your own in HDLC: either a common
stack for both processors (quite slow due to the need for scheduling the
requests) or a stack for either of them with additional hardware to
invalidate the cache lines that are written by the other processor and
to force writing of the cache lines read by the other processing <or
similar>.

Happy hunting !

-Michael