[uClinux-dev] howto generate Kconfig files from Config.in for busybox

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Feb 12 10:12:33 EST 2009

On Thursday 12 February 2009 03:56:40 Michael Schnell wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > ive tried convincing the uClinux-dist guys to use some of the
> > methodologies that we've adopted in the Blackfin uClinux dist, but it
> > doesnt look like it's going to happen, so ive given up :/
>
> I always wondered why there are dedicated "Blackfin" and "NIOS" versions
> of uCinux-dist (maintained in dedicated mailing lists) and seemingly a
> "common" version (maintained here), plus seemingly completely separate
> stuff for ARM and still other stuff for X86 (no knowledge  here at all
> about PPC and whatever additional archs existing).
>
> I understand that NIOS was derived from Blackfin.
>
> Seemingly there are efforts done on optionally supporting MMU with
> multiple archs.
>
> What is the cause a reunion is not planned ?

we've extended the Blackfin dist quite a bit at some fundamental levels.  ive
attempted to get those pushed back into the main one, but i guess David/Greg
dont agree with my approach to the work.

as for having sep development trees, that's a must given how the mainline
version works: an internal CVS tree that only opengear can see/access with
updates sent out in patch form at random internals.  we require complete
visibility on our side so we have our own public server hosting the dist via
svn.  it is completely up-to-date at all times with the developer and public
accessible.

as for NIOS/Blackfin, i certainly dont have a problem if the NIOS guys want to
merge their work back with ours.  we're certainly open to giving them commit
access and discuss general strategies.  ive tried to keep from hardcoding
Blackfin-specific stuff in the Blackfin dist, but i wouldnt be surprised if i
failed in a place or three ...
-mike