[uClinux-dev] MCF5271EVB: console=ttyS2,115200 does not work

Richard Retanubun RichardRetanubun at RuggedCom.com
Tue Feb 3 18:45:38 EST 2009

Hi Guys,

I am using a Motorola MCF5271EVB with U-boot 2009.01 and Linux 2.6.27 from kernel.org

I customized the m5271evb_defconfig I got from the DENX linux-2.6 distro.

I compiled in kernel bootargs with console=ttyS0,115200 and was able to see the console output.

Then I changed that line to console=ttyS2,115200, and am not able to get the console output on any of the 3 UARTs.

The deprecated mcfserial.c driver is limited to use ttyS0 or ttyS1. I am able to crudely hack this to work with ttyS2.

However, I am a bit lost with the newer mcf.c serial driver. What am I missing that prevents me to use ttyS2 as my console?

Thank you for your time.

- Richard Retanubun