[uClinux-dev] mount errors after loading compiled SG580 image from snapgear source

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Mon Jan 29 01:17:31 EST 2007

Hi Richard,

Richard and Suzanne McCarthy wrote:
> Hello, after completing a build of an image for an SG580 from the
> Snapgear source files, I’m getting some mount errors upon booting of the
> device. The following is the output from console along with a copy of
> the /etc/rc file.

[snip]
> /etc/rc processing ...
> Starting watchdog ...
> snapdog: user servicing enabled (short=60,long=300).
>
> Mounting Filesystems ...
> mount: Mounting none on /sys failed: No such file or directory

This start is setup for a 2.6 kernel that has the sysfs filesystem enabled.

> Setting system clock ...
> Clock: old time 1970/01/01 - 00:00:01
> Clock: new time 2007/01/25 - 09:32:15
> Processing Config Filesystem ...
> flatfsd: restore fs- from partition 0, tstamp=55
> flatfsd: Nonexistent or bad flatfs (0), creating new one...
> flatfsd: saving fs to partition 1, tstamp=56
> flatfsd: Wrote 186 bytes to flash in 2 seconds
> flatfsd: Created 6 configuration files (0 bytes)

You will probably only see this once. After this rebuild of
the config filesystem subsequent reboots should be clean here.
Not sure why you would have a bad of non-existant configfs
though to start with.

> Using /lib/modules/2.4.32-uc0/kernel/ixp425/ixp400-1.4/ixp400.o
> Module init.
> /etc/rc: /dev/ixNpe: No such device

This is expecting IXP modules 2.0 or higher, you are using 1.4.

> modprobe: module ixp400_eth not found.
> modprobe: failed to load module ixp400_eth
> SIOCSIFHWADDR: No such device
> Set eth0 to MAC address 00:d0:cf:06:85:83
> SIOCSIFHWADDR: No such device
> Set eth1 to MAC address 00:d0:cf:06:85:84
> modprobe: module ixp4xx not found.
> modprobe: failed to load module ixp4xx

All related to the CSR modules version.

> /etc/rc complete.
>
> init: exec rc failed
>
> init: /bin/firewall failed!/etc/config/start: /etc/config/start: No such
> file or directory

You need to extract these from a real firmware image.

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Dude       EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear -- a Secure Computing Company      PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888