[uClinux-dev] MCF5275EVB & UC Linux

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Mon Jan 15 01:54:17 EST 2007

Hi Mike,

Mike Cruse wrote:
> I am doing some work with the 5274 (5275 without crypto).
>
> I have the 2.6 kernel up and running reasonably well.

Which version 2.6 kernel?

> I found the config process quite fragile in that while I essentially
> could build and run out of the box, once I started to make kernel or
> userland config changes I started to get these messages on boot
>
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I have used this configuration system for years, and it is
in no way fragile. It does exactly what you tell it to.

> I am no stranger to Linux and understand some of the things that cause
> these problems. However I did not understand why turning on ext3,
> enabling the second FEC and building an extra userland program would
> cause this to happen.

It is possibly a bug.

But I had no problems enabling those options and still loading
and running on the M5275EVB board (I used uClinux-dist-test-20070108,
with 2.6.19-uc1 kernel).

If you post your full kernel boot trace and kernel configuration
we might be able to help.

The most common cause of this type of problem is the romfs generation,
double check that the device nodes are being created correctly in
the romfs.

> Once the problem occurs I have to blow away the source tree and start
> again as I can't seem to reverse the problem.
>
> Any clues on this?
>
> Serial ports seem to work well. At least the console does.
> Haven't used USB or QSPI.
>
> Ethernet seems flakey. Especially when trying to use the second FEC.
> That code just does not seem complete and PHY detection just would not
> work without changes.
>
> Beyond getting both PHY's going things were still broken. eth0 would
> work most of the time but while you could ping a configured eth1, a TCP
> connection could not be established. Inbound or outbound.

I just tried with 2.6.19-uc1 and I could telnet into and out of
eth0 on the M5275EVB with no problems at all.

> Using Wireshark it appeared that received packets were just ignored.
>
> I could use some help here. Has anybody gotten both FEC's up and running
> on the 5274/5? If so how? I am using National DP83848 PHY's.

2.6.19-uc1 is not detecting the PHY on eth1, so there does look to be
a problem there. I can't get any data on eth1 either. I'll look into
that when I get a minute.

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Dude       EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear -- a Secure Computing Company      PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888