[uClinux-dev] "nostalgic": uClinux running from flash on a Palm IIIx

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Sun Oct 30 18:20:39 EST 2005

Jivin Jim Davidson lays it down ...
> Hi,
>
> I just looked at EVERY subject header of the email
> archive (whew!) hoping to find this answer, but I
> couldn't sooo...
>
> I look at the startup assembly code & the linker file
> & it looks like uClinux places the following at flash
> address 0x10c10400 for palm (III):
>   a jump instruction
>   four characters "boot"
>   WORD val of 10000
>   then the startup code
>
> That pattern doesn't exist at that address in my Palm
> IIIx, so I don't see how that bootloader works with
> the startup code & linker file I see.  That pattern
> does exist somehere else in ROM (and similar patterns
> (different JMP address though) exists in various
> places too.
>
> For the heck of it, I placed a small program at that
> location with the above header.  It set up the LCD,
> made a big blinking cursor, and sat in a spin loop.
> It didn't work.  :(
>
> So, does uClinux work with the Palm bootloader, or is
> it meant to use a different one (or did I just simply
> do something wrong)?  If it uses another one, where

It uses it's own palm loader.

> can I get it?  Or, maybe this has never been done &
> everyone has run out of ram.  I doubt this, 'cause
> there's the rom.ld file in addition to the ram.ld
> file.

I don't know of anyone who has run it from ROM.  Fairly
easy to toasr you Palm and need a soldering iron to fix it :-(

> Can anyone help me out and explain what I'm missing?
> I know I'm asking people to go back quite a few years.
>  Any information would be helpful.  I'd really like to
> keep the original bootloader--it's nice (gdb stub &
> all).  And it's a lot safer than overwriting it.  :)

Have a look at:

	http://www.ucdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/07/1329233

might have the info you need,

David McCullough, davidm at cyberguard.com.au, Custom Embedded Solutions + Security