[uClinux-dev] "nostalgic": uClinux running from flash on a Palm IIIx

Jim Davidson adirondackmtn at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 14:57:31 EDT 2005

Hi,

I just looked at EVERY subject header of the email
archive (whew!) hoping to find this answer, but I
couldn't sooo...

I look at the startup assembly code & the linker file
& it looks like uClinux places the following at flash
address 0x10c10400 for palm (III):
  a jump instruction
  four characters "boot"
  WORD val of 10000
  then the startup code

That pattern doesn't exist at that address in my Palm
IIIx, so I don't see how that bootloader works with
the startup code & linker file I see.  That pattern
does exist somehere else in ROM (and similar patterns
(different JMP address though) exists in various
places too.

For the heck of it, I placed a small program at that
location with the above header.  It set up the LCD,
made a big blinking cursor, and sat in a spin loop.
It didn't work.  :(

So, does uClinux work with the Palm bootloader, or is
it meant to use a different one (or did I just simply
do something wrong)?  If it uses another one, where
can I get it?  Or, maybe this has never been done &
everyone has run out of ram.  I doubt this, 'cause
there's the rom.ld file in addition to the ram.ld
file.

Can anyone help me out and explain what I'm missing?
I know I'm asking people to go back quite a few years.
 Any information would be helpful.  I'd really like to
keep the original bootloader--it's nice (gdb stub &
all).  And it's a lot safer than overwriting it.  :)

Thanks much!

Jim