[uClinux-dev] Quick question: How to make CodeWarrior read uClinux ELF file?

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Thu Oct 27 02:58:34 EDT 2005

Hi Gang,

Wang, Gang S wrote:
> I’m having uClinux ELF symbolic file image.elf. Yes I turned on “Full
> Symbolic/Source Debugging support” in “Kernel Hacking”, and I’m using
> CodeWarrior 5.x. However, after opening the image.elf file, there is no
> symbolics recognized. Anything I’m missing here? Help greatly appciated.

The image.elf won't contain any symbol information. It is a 'simple'
ELF file that wraps up the kernel and a filesystem for easy debugger
downloading. It does carry any of the symbol information through
from the kernel image.

You need to get the debug symbols from the kernel ELF file (I assume
you are trying to debug the kernel?). So you want linux-2.?.x/vmlinux
(which will contain all the symbol info).

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Dude       EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear -- a CyberGuard Company            PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888