[uClinux-dev] Kernel panic: BUG! Report on uClinux 2.4.31-uc0 when executing sy stem()

Aaron Manning aamanning at dsc.com
Tue Oct 25 12:18:22 EDT 2005

I'm currently having a problem using the system() call to execute shell
commands from within a process.
Previously on 2.4.17-uc0 I could successfully execute a system("insmod
ticker.o c 247 0") to load my own device drivers, but since updating to
2.4.31 I will receive the Kernel panic: BUG! message and the system
hangs. Thinking maybe something was wrong with my module, I decided to
just attempt to execute a /bin/sh and recieve the same message. Has
something been changed for the sh command line support to not allow
multiple sh spawns to execute command line calls?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
On a side note, the reason for me using system() is because I need to
programatically load/unload device drivers depending on user input.
Thanks in advance,
Aaron

Aaron Manning
Software Analyst - Embedded
Digital Security Controls
A Division of
Tyco Safety Products Canada Ltd.
Phone: (905)760-3000 ext.2717
Email: aamanning at dsc.com <mailto:aamanning at dsc.com>

This transmission is intended to be delivered only to the named addressee(s)
and may contain information that is confidential or proprietary.  If this
recipient(s) should immediately notify the sender by e-mail
(aamanning at dsc.com <mailto:aamanning at dsc.com> ) and by telephone
(905-760-3000) and obtain instructions as to the disposal of the transmitted
material.  In no event shall this material be read, used, copied,
reproduced, stored or retained by anyone other than the named addressee(s),
except with the express written consent of the sender or the named
addressee(s).  Thank you.