[uClinux-dev] Hotplug script execution problem

Abhijith K S abhijithks at myw.ltindia.com
Mon Oct 24 09:39:13 EDT 2005

Hi,

OS: uClinux 2.4.27-uc1
Targer: MCF5270 based custom board.

    We have enabled Support for hotplug (CONFIG_HOTPLUG) in the kernel. We have written a simple script  (name: hotplug) just to test execution of hotplug script and placed it in the /sbin directory.

Script contents:
#!/bin/sh

echo "Hotplug script"

exit 1

On a hotplug event (like, on connecting a USB thumb drive), the following message appears:
BINFMT_FLAT: Loading file: /sbin/hotplug
But, the script never executes. If we run the hotplug script directly from the shell, it executes  perfectly.

We have traced the code execution sequence starting from the USB hotplug event and have not been able to  locate any problems.

We have also compared the code execution sequence when manually executing from the shell and when  invoked through a hotplug event from the kernel and found no differences except for the method of  invocation (through kernel_thread(...) from the kernel, on a hotplug event)

Is there anything else we have to do to make the hotplug script execute on a hotplug event? Any help is  appreciated.

Regards,
Abhijith K S
Dileepa P