[uClinux-dev] uClinux doesn't boot up on a board with ColdFire CPU. Help please.

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Thu Oct 20 18:41:31 EDT 2005

Jivin Wang, Gang S lays it down ...
> Hi,
>
> I'm now trying to run uClinux (kernel 2.4.x) on a board with Motorola
> ColdFire CPU (the board is based on M5272C23 but has some differences in
> flash address, MBAR address, etc.). To boot it, I already successfully
> run U-Boot on that board. I have the following problems and would like
> your help.
>
> -          To make U-Boot boot up uClinux, I need to create uImage by
> running "mkimage" and give load_address as well as entry_point, is that
> correct?
>
> -          I did that and burn the created uImage to the flash address
> 0x202000. I did "imi 202000" to verify the CRC and then run "bootm
> 202000". However, after U-Boot gave control to uClinux, the system just
> hanged there. No more output message. I wonder how to figure out the
> problem.

The kernel expects MBAR to be at 0x10000000,  if you have moved it then
things are not going to work very well.

Have a look in:

	linux-2.4.x/include/asm-m68knommu/coldfire.h

If you can,  you should try and keep MBAR where it is and move some
other bits around,

David McCullough, davidm at cyberguard.com.au, Custom Embedded Solutions + Security
Ph:+61 734352815 Fx:+61 738913630 http://www.uCdot.org http://www.cyberguard.com