[uClinux-dev] The Power of 2

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Tue Oct 18 18:47:00 EDT 2005

Jivin Robin Getz lays it down ...
> Greg:
>
> >> Any pointers to where what to do for the 2.6 kernel?
> >
> >Nobody ever really carried it forward from the 2.4 kernels.
>
> Do you know if anyone is working on this? How important is this to people's
> 2.6.x deployments?

No one I know of is working on it.  The code has changed a lot since 2.4
and in some ways it's a little non-trivial to bring across.

When I last looked at it I figured there are probably two approaches

* integrate it into the power-of-2 allocator and have the two work
  together so you have a fast power of 2 for small allocations and a
  slow "non-power-of-2" for large allocations.

* clean up the memory allocation subsystem so it can be replaced
  allowing many different solutions,  and a much smaller/simpler system
  for !MMU.

David McCullough, davidm at cyberguard.com.au, Custom Embedded Solutions + Security
Ph:+61 734352815 Fx:+61 738913630 http://www.uCdot.org http://www.cyberguard.com