[uClinux-dev] inittab and shell commands

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Mon Oct 17 18:53:29 EDT 2005

Jivin Sandro M lays it down ...
> Hello guys,
> I have a little problem with inittab: I wrote my own application that does a lot of things, and one of these is that it creates a file using for the filename this pattern:  "name" +ggdd+ ".dd", where ggdd is the number of the day and the month.
> I get the 2 vars gg e dd usign this command (in a EXTERN script that my application launch usign execv()):
>
> name`date +%d%m`.dd
>
> Now, if I put my application on rc file all goes right, but if I put it in the inittab file, the command "date +%d%m" doesnt run and it returns a blank string :(
> why?? How can I do to make my application "never-die" ?

Put it in a script and run the script from inittab,  init splits the
command line in "argv" params and doesn't do shell expansion IIRC,  at
least so for simple init.

David McCullough, davidm at cyberguard.com.au, Custom Embedded Solutions + Security
Ph:+61 734352815 Fx:+61 738913630 http://www.uCdot.org http://www.cyberguard.com