[uClinux-dev] S3C4410 and linux 2.6

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Sun Oct 16 20:38:55 EDT 2005

Hi Xavier,

xavier.montagne wrote:
> Thanks once more for your answers ;-)
> I would like to clarify one point : is it possible to enable or disable the
> MMU in a uClinux 2.6 release from the xconfig or menuconfig panels ?

Yes.

> If so
> then it is possible to run the 2410 (ARM920T) with the MMU capability enable
> !
> I though that uClinux was only for mmuless target... but maybe I'm wrong...

uClinux is the name of the code support for running without an MMU.
It is irrespective of whether your processor actually has an MMU
or not. But in practice very few people want to run with the MMU
disbaled on processors that have them.

> Does the linux 2.6 contain the uClinux 2.6 code so that you can select the
> MMU or not ?

The core uClinux support is in stock 2.6 kernels, as is the architecture
support for m68k/ColdFire, v850, h8300, sh. Currently there is no
support for the ARM mmuless in stock kernes. You need to get the
separate patch set.

... or are uClinux 2.6 and Linux 2.6 something still realy
> different ?

No, they are basically the same. The uClinux 2.6 patches are a
place for testing new features, bug fixes, etc, before they
are merged into Linus kernels.