[uClinux-dev] Kernel Panic with Blackfin Processor

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Thu Oct 13 19:46:36 EDT 2005

Amol wrote:
>I am using kernel 2.4.20-8 with uClinux. I am using BF532 platform.
>Although I am using uClinux files, I use VisualDSP++ to compile and port
>it on the target.

Wow - VDSP? with the 2.4 kernel? You might be on your own.

Everyone else is using kernel 2.6.x (2.6.12), and compiling things with
bfin-uclinux-gcc (3.3.4). This is the configuration that everyone at
http://blackfin.uclinux.org uses/supports.

The 2.4 kernel is known to have many, many issues in it that are fixed in
the most recent 2.6 kernel.

VDSP is known to not like the main-line kernel code, so someone had to make
many, many changes to make it work. It is difficult to answer questions
about a kernel source that no one has seen.

>Exception: IRQ 0x2 entered.
>Kernel panic: unhandled IRQ or exceptions!

this is pretty basic - something in your hardware is causing a NMI (what is
tied to the NMI pin?) and there is no interrupt 2 handler in the interrupt
code in your kernel source. It doesn't know how to handle things, so it panics.

-Robin