[uClinux-dev] Reducing size of framebuffer

Barry Gravante bandegee at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 13:17:26 EDT 2005

We are using uClinux 2.4.19-ucl on an ARM7TDMI and are
running low on free memory.

Our configuration has the framebuffer first, then the
filesystem, then linux.

I have reduced the framebuffer by 1/2 meg using 'make
bspconfig' thinking that I would see 1/2 meg more
'total' memory (hence more free memory) when running
the 'free' command.

After making the change using 'make bspconfig' and
doing a fresh, from scratch, recompile and build
(including 'make mrproper' and 'make base'), I still
have the same exact total memory available, although I
did observe the fs.img.rr, linux.rr start addresses
change as expected.

Is there something else that I need to configure to
get this change to propagate?

What initializes the 'total' memory field that is
reported by 'free'?

Thanks Barry