[uClinux-dev] XIP broken in 2.4.31-uc0 ? (fwd)

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Fri Oct 7 06:46:12 EDT 2005

Jivin David Howells lays it down ...
> David McCullough <davidm at snapgear.com> wrote:
>

> > Try the attached patch,  I am fairly sure this will fix the problems,
> > just so happens that on my two test systems "sh" was a special case,
> > but I could reproduce by running another long lived program,
>
> Does romfs set the flag:
>
> struct address_space {
>         int                     membacked;      /* backed by real memory (eg: ra
> mfs) - can support
>                                                  * shared-writable mappings */
> };

Not currently,  this is still working with the old romptr code in
conjunction with the new mmap stuff.

As soon as I get a chance I will look at membacked.

A question for you though,  romfs could be on a disk, ram, flash
or any number of things.  It could only report membacked if the device
it is running on is membacked.  Does this point towards membacked being
a function rather than a boolean ?  romfs may be able to determine membacked
at mount/init time I guess by checking the underlying device.  I haven't
looked at it in detail yet, but it might save me some time if you know the
answer off the top of your head :-)

David McCullough, davidm at cyberguard.com.au, Custom Embedded Solutions + Security
Ph:+61 734352815 Fx:+61 738913630 http://www.uCdot.org http://www.cyberguard.com