[uClinux-dev] JFFS question

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Thu Oct 6 01:19:48 EDT 2005

Greg wrote:
>Current (and at least somewhat recent - including 20041215) uClinux-dist
>packages have:
>
>if [ "$CONFIG_USER_MTDUTILS" = "y" ]; then
>          define_bool CONFIG_LIB_ZLIB y
>fi
>
>Which should take care of this.

Actually - I had that, and it doesn't take care of it.

the problem I was having was users who wanted to use JFFS2 (compiled in
kernel support), but didn't want the target user tools, and
CONFIG_USER_MTDUTILS was not selected.

since in ./uClinux-dist/user/Makefile:

dir_$(CONFIG_JFFS_FS)                       += mtd-utils
dir_$(CONFIG_JFFS2_FS)                      += mtd-utils

If the kernel settings are selected, then the mtd-utils directory is added
without setting CONFIG_USER_MTDUTILS, and without setting CONFIG_LIB_ZLIB -
hence the build error.

I hacked this in our cvs with similar lines in ./uClinux-dist/lib/Makefile

dir_$(CONFIG_JFFS_FS)                       += zlib
dir_$(CONFIG_JFFS2_FS)                      += zlib

you could add something in ./uClinux-dist/config/config.in as well:
if [ "$CONFIG_JFFS2_FS" = "y" ]; then
          define_bool CONFIG_USER_MTDUTILS y
fi

Up to you...