[uClinux-dev] JFFS question

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Thu Oct 6 00:58:28 EDT 2005

Hi Robin,

I should have looked at this sooner, but anyway :-)

Robin Getz wrote:
> I was complaining that when CONFIG_JFFS2_FS was set, I was getting
> compile errors in mtd-utils.
>
> I think that I fingered it out.
>
> The problem I was getting was:
>
> bfin-uclinux-gcc -Wl,-elf2flt [snip]
> /bfin-uclinux/bin/ld.real: cannot find -lz
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [mkfs.jffs2] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/rgetz/checkouts/kernel/uClinux-dist/user/mtd-utils'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rgetz/checkouts/kernel/uClinux-dist/user'
> make: *** [subdirs] Error 1
>
> from actually looking at the error (it is amazing what gcc actually
> tells you when you look) you can see that the linker can't find the
> compression library.
>
> by manually selecting : Library Configuration -->  Build libZ (Data
> compression library) things work fine.
>
> So - there seems to be a missing:
> if [ "$CONFIG_JFFS2_FS" = "y" -o \
>      "$CONFIG_JFFS_FS"  = "y" ]; then
>         define_bool CONFIG_LIB_ZLIB y
> fi

Current (and at least somewhat recent - including 20041215)
uClinux-dist packages have:

if [ "$CONFIG_USER_MTDUTILS" = "y" ]; then
         define_bool CONFIG_LIB_ZLIB y
fi

Which should take care of this.

I don't recall now with source you where working from, but I
take it does not have this in there?

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Dude       EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear -- a CyberGuard Company            PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888