[uClinux-dev] JFFS2 MAX size

Mpourtounis Dimitrios mpourtou at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Oct 5 15:32:52 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have a board with 8 MB flash. I want to format it as JFFS2.
Until now, there was no filesystem on the flash. Just hardcoded everything
at flash addresses.

The space i have given to my zipped(initrd compiled in) boot image is 7+
MB. Everything works fine if i erase all this mtdblock, cp a jffs2
filesystem to it, but  I cannot mount it. My kernel crashes without any
message at all and reboots.

The above cannot be reproduced in any other block.

So, I changed the mtdblocks' size, 6+MB  also could not be mounted, but 4
MB mount ok.

Is there a maximum jffs filesystem limit?

If it were the flash chip that caused the crash(hardware issue), then I
think my next mtdblock (image is mtdblock 2, configuration is 3) would be
the one that would crash, but it does not. However, I am not 100% sure
that it is not hardware until I make some more tests.

Regards,
Dimitri