[uClinux-dev] Initrd works only with ext2

Mpourtounis Dimitrios mpourtou at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Oct 5 10:02:48 EDT 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, David McCullough wrote:

> Jivin Mpourtounis Dimitrios lays it down ...
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been using initrd with kernel 2.4.26. The initrd image was ext2
> > filesystem and everything worked right.
> >
> > I tried to switch to another filesystem (jffs2), but my kernel cannot
> > mount the root (Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00).
> >
> > I tried to use other filesystems (minix for example), the same problem.
> >
> > It seems that only ext2 can be mounted.
> >
> > Has anybody come across this behaviour?
> >
> > Kernel has jffs2,minix etc filesystems support.
>
> The initrd support needs to be able to identify the filesystem and work
> out some details.
>
> romfs and cramfs are also supported.
>
> Look in linux-2.4.x/init and you should be able to find the area if you
> decide to support another FS,
>
> Cheers,
> Davidm

Thank you!

Ok, now cramfs works. In fact I use squashfs now, seems working right. Not
very sure if I can rely on it (I came across it by accident). If anybody
has an opinion, please comment.

I am trying to reduce RAM and flash footprint, in order to make it work on
a 2/8 MB mips system. Until now Ihave been using kernel with the initrd
image compiled in (ext2). Now it is squash fs, memoty footprint is reduced
but unfortunately not enough. Maybe I should use a jffs filesystem on
flash, to reduce initrd size. Any thoughts appreciated of what (else) i
could do.

The thing I want to ask, is:
In order to upgrade my device, I used to transfer a firmware image via
ethernet to some deamon that rawwritted it to flash. In case of jffs, that
the deamon is running from flash, is it safe to umount the jffs partition
and raw-write? Will the deomon exit because its executable is umounted, or
as long as it is initilized in ram, it can do the trick?

Cheers,
Dimitris