[uClinux-dev] gdbserver kills the shell?

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Wed Oct 5 01:23:28 EDT 2005

Jivin John Williams lays it down ...
> Hi Dave,
>
> David McCullough wrote:
> >Jivin John Williams lays it down ...
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Is it typical for gdbserver to take down the controlling shell when it
> >>exits?
> >

> >No :-)
> >

> [snip]
>
> Thanks for the tips.
>
> A broader question.  The "new" gdb and gdbserver that are integrated
> into the tree, do not appear to have any uClinux work done on them at
> all.  In particular, gdbserver is still using fork, alloca and so on.

yep.

> Worse, it has none of the qOffset packet handling stuff that is used to
> tell the host gdb the relocated addresses of uclinux user apps.

yep.

It was added for MMU systems and no one has looked at it for anything
else AFAIK.

> I'm trying to figure the best way to merge the microblaze stuff - I'm
> working on a standalone gdbserver (based on Miles Baders b850 work from
> ages ago), but it won't merge nicely into  (old) user/gdbserver.
> However, the (new) user/gdb/gdb/gdbserver looks like it needs
> significant work to be uclinux-ified.
>
> Any comments on the above, or suggestions on the way forward?

I would have thought Miles patches would apply fairly cleanly to the new
gdb/gdbserver source.

If you want longevity,  and perhaps the ability to merge your changes
into mainline gdb,  the new one is the only way to go.  Use the old one
for reference.

I haven't looked but I think you will find it easy to merge the ideas
from the old one across to the newer one,

David McCullough, davidm at cyberguard.com.au, Custom Embedded Solutions + Security
Ph:+61 734352815 Fx:+61 738913630 http://www.uCdot.org http://www.cyberguard.com