[uClinux-dev] gdbserver kills the shell?

John Williams jwilliams at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Oct 5 00:35:35 EDT 2005

Hi Dave,

David McCullough wrote:
> Jivin John Williams lays it down ...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Is it typical for gdbserver to take down the controlling shell when it
>>exits?
>

> No :-)

[snip]

Thanks for the tips.

A broader question.  The "new" gdb and gdbserver that are integrated
into the tree, do not appear to have any uClinux work done on them at
all.  In particular, gdbserver is still using fork, alloca and so on.
Worse, it has none of the qOffset packet handling stuff that is used to
tell the host gdb the relocated addresses of uclinux user apps.

I'm trying to figure the best way to merge the microblaze stuff - I'm
working on a standalone gdbserver (based on Miles Baders b850 work from
ages ago), but it won't merge nicely into  (old) user/gdbserver.
However, the (new) user/gdb/gdb/gdbserver looks like it needs
significant work to be uclinux-ified.

Any comments on the above, or suggestions on the way forward?

Thanks,

John