[uClinux-dev] RFC: Updating ./user folder...

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Tue Oct 4 08:52:47 EDT 2005

There seems to be a few neglected packages in the user folder - they have
been updated and maintained in their respective main-line projects, but do
not seem to be as up-to-date in the uClinux-dist.

In talking about this with Greg - he is happy to update these, as long as
they are known to work on the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. Since my hardware only
supports 2.6, is there anyone around with hardware that is supported by
2.4, that has some time to do some kicking of newer packages to see if they
have issues?

Things like ./jffs2 support will be a little troublesome - as the main-line
project has abandoned the 2.4 kernel series:

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/source.html#kernelversions
 >As of March 2005 we dropped Linux 2.4 support from CVS head.
 > This means we not longer care whether the CVS code can be
 >used on Linux 2.4 or not.

I would propose that for these types of situations, to leave the existing
./user/mtd-utils for 2.0 and 2.4 kernels and create a new
/user/mtd-utils-2.6.x to separate things that need tight integration with
specific kernel versions. IThe correct directory will be added via the make
system. Thoughts or opinions?

When a packages seem to be working on 2.4 and 2.6, I will send patches (or
urls) here for further testing/committing to cvs.

Thanks
-Robin