[uClinux-dev] CRAMFS and mtime/ctime

John Williams jwilliams at itee.uq.edu.au
Thu Aug 25 20:11:56 EDT 2005

Hi,

Are there known issues with cramfs and mtime/ctime?

If I loop mount the cramfs image on my workstation (recent 2.4 kernel),
the mtimes and ctimes are different from the timestamps on the actual
source files.

At first I thougt the mtime was set to the time at which the cramfs
image was mounted, but lookiung more closely the times are all over the
place - and certainly don't match the mtimes on the original files, from
which the cramfs image was created.

When this image is mounted as the root fs on my uClinux system (latest
kernel), all the mtimes are set to Jan 1 1970 (although so is my system
clock, so that might explain something).

Does anybody have the 25 words or less explanation on this?

Thanks,

John

PS The reason I care is that I'm working with precompiled python
modules, and the interpreter is complaining that the ctimes on the .py
vs .pyc files are inconsistent.