[uClinux-dev] Recommended build setup?

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Mon Aug 22 19:34:50 EDT 2005

Jivin Jim Treadway lays it down ...
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, srinivas naga vutukuri wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >if you look at the link,  2.1
> >http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/FAQ.shtml#1-3
> >
> >similarly,
> >download patch of your chosen  version from the http download,
> >http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/
> >(uClinux-2.4.x,2.5.x,2.6.x) and apply against the relevent kernel version
> >tar ball
> >(from the kernel.org).
>
> Section 2.1 of the FAQ talks about *applying a patch* to an existing
> linux-2.0.38 kernel, not using the CVS versions, so that section of the
> FAQ is probably almost 5 years out of date.
>
> My question was about the recommended way to build out of two (or more)
> separate CVS sources ("uClinux-dist", "uClinux-2.0.x", and
> "uClinux-2.4.x"), and also optionally about support for current kernel.org
> 2.6 kernels, not about applying patches.

uCdot has an FAQ for CVS use.

http://www.ucdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/20/1342224

> Since the documentation (see http://cvs.uclinux.org/cvs_anon.html) is
> rather sparse, and out of date (note the reference to archived "userland"
> repository), I figured I'd ask here.  I've got a working source directory
> from the above CVS modules, but I was just wondering if symlinking from
> "uClinux-dist" into the kernel directories was the recommended way to go.

If you follow the FAQ above you will have a single directory with no
symlinks,  and you can update the whole thing or diff it with a single
command.

However,  symlinking the kernel dirs into the dist dir is fine as well.

David McCullough, davidm at cyberguard.com.au, Custom Embedded Solutions + Security
Ph:+61 734352815 Fx:+61 738913630 http://www.uCdot.org http://www.cyberguard.com