[uClinux-dev] Problem re-programming a CRAMFS filesystem, need help !

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Sun Aug 21 19:21:24 EDT 2005

Jivin Sreecharan Sivadevuni lays it down ...
> Hello all,
>
> I have a 4MB Intel flash on my board the starting
> address of which is memory mapped at 0x00400000 linear
> memory address. now using a flash programmer's utility
> i program  the flash as shown here under
>

> ;File                  FlashAddr   Comment
> ;-------------------   ---------   -----------
> boot-ldrCX821xx.bin    00400000    ;Boot loader
> linuz                  00410000    ;Compressed kernel
> image
> image_usr.cramfs       00500000    ;File system I
> (cramfs)
> image.cramfs           00700000    ;File system II
> (cramfs)
>

> So I have a bootloader, kernel image, filesystem
> I(/usr) and filesystem II(/) as shown and I am able to
> mount both filesystems, Filesystem II(root fs) at boot
> time and other Filesystem I(/usr)on demand.
>
> Now I am using a flash programming utility (something
> like 'netflash') to re-program the filesystem I(/usr),
> but after re-programming the flash with another
> 'cramfs' filesystem I am not able to mount the
> filesystem anymore and I get the following error
> message:
>
> ------------------------
> cramfs: wrong magic
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/Blkmem1,
>        or too many mounted file systems
> -------------------------
>
> It means kernel doesnot detect the 'cramfs' filesystem
> at the location anymore !
>
> So can someone tell me where I am getting wrong; am I
> allowed to reprogram a 'cramfs' flash filesystem the
> way I am doing now. Just for the sake of information,
> I am able to re-program the flash at the location
> where my kernel image is sitting(linuz) with another
> kernel image, and it works fine !
>
> would appreciate any help.

Have you looked at the device where you have programmed the cramfs
image to see if it is the same as the image you are programming in ?

Have you ever been able to put a cramfs image in this partition and
mount it ?

I would be checking it is doing what you think it is :-)

David McCullough, davidm at cyberguard.com.au, Custom Embedded Solutions + Security
Ph:+61 734352815 Fx:+61 738913630 http://www.uCdot.org http://www.cyberguard.com