[uClinux-dev] Kernel boot problem when run from romfs

Ashok ashokhirpara at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 09:28:44 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am having problem running kernel from romfs using AT75C221 atmel kit. I
have modified .ld file, Makefile and some other place where size is
calculated when memory is initialized.

I have verified that kernel is hanging in  paging_init() function call as no
memory is available. paging_init() function called under
linux-2.4.x/arch/armnommu/init.c is calling alloc_bootmem_low_pages() and it
is returning null.

I have verified in __alloc_bootmem() function that alloc_bootmem_core()
function return NULL which indicates that kernel is out of memory and may be
this is a source of problem. Is this function returning NULL due to some
memory configuration needed? Where should I focus to debug this problem.
One thing I am not sure is to select RAM support or ROM support for block
device under kernel configuration menu when run make xconfig.

BTW,  everything is working fine from RAM.

I would highly appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,

- Ashok Hirpara