[uClinux-dev] uClinux-dist-test-20050808 released for testing

John Williams jwilliams at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 10 06:05:38 EDT 2005

David McCullough wrote:
> Jivin John Williams lays it down ...
>
>>Greg Ungerer wrote:
>>
>>>Unfortunately a lot of changes since the last test release,
>>>but hopefully we have all the major problems ironed out.
>>
>>First things first - include/Makefile needs the following patch
>>otherwise it behaves badly on repeat executions:
>>

> This target depends on "clean",  which should clean out all the
> symlinks.  clean is a PHONY so I don't know why that would be a problem.
> Is this being run under linux or something else ?
>
> I am most certainly not seeing a problem with it :-)

On my CentOS 3 boxen, if I don't have the rm -f first, it attempts to
create a new link inside the already linked subdirectory.  This fails
because the link actually points to somewhere owned by root (the toolchain).

Maybe it's a different in bash versions or something?  Anyway,
include.diff has the patch, it should be harmless.

>>Moving on - is it my imagination or have you changed the
>>uClinux-dist/include/  symlink structure again in this release?  It used
>>to be include/include, now it's include/gcc and include/c++, right?
>

> There has been some change,  but not that much IIRC.
>
> The big change has been the move to the ucfront compiler frontend.
> This does a lot of the wrapping,  and as such most of the config.arch
> files look very similar now.  You shoujld nearly be able to take the
> m68k version and adjust it a little

OK, got it.

Due to some ancient badness in how the microblaze libs were built, it's
neceesary to link against the compiler's libc *after* uClibc.

However, ucfront doesn't handle this situation.  Attached patch
tools.diff makes ucfront inspect the variable UCFRONT_LINK_SUFFIX - if
set it appends that at the end of the revised command line.

Also, ucfront assumes the existence of init/fini (crtn and crti), which
I'd never imlpemented for Microblaze.  They are now auto-built as per
old uClibc method - uClibc.diff

Finally, patch vendors.diff to tweak config/microblaze/config.arch

> ucfront,  the compiler frontend for all builds.

> By adding ucfront we can now use configure just like a native compiler,
> and configure now works within the tree much more easily than before.

noice :)

All patches should apply cleanly over latest dist-test.

Thanks,

John