[uClinux-dev] JFFS question

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Fri Aug 5 15:12:28 EDT 2005

I was complaining that when CONFIG_JFFS2_FS was set, I was getting compile
errors in mtd-utils.

Michael Leslie suggested that this was a name space conflict between user
and kernel.

David McCullough responded that this was not the case, and this was as
designed.

I think that I fingered it out.

The problem I was getting was:

bfin-uclinux-gcc -Wl,-elf2flt [snip]
/bfin-uclinux/bin/ld.real: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [mkfs.jffs2] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/rgetz/checkouts/kernel/uClinux-dist/user/mtd-utils'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rgetz/checkouts/kernel/uClinux-dist/user'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 1

from actually looking at the error (it is amazing what gcc actually tells
you when you look) you can see that the linker can't find the compression
library.

by manually selecting : Library Configuration -->  Build libZ (Data
compression library) things work fine.

So - there seems to be a missing:
if [ "$CONFIG_JFFS2_FS" = "y" -o \
      "$CONFIG_JFFS_FS"  = "y" ]; then