[uClinux-dev] Starting with uClinux

Heiko Degenhardt heiko.degenhardt at sentec-elektronik.de
Fri Mar 28 02:55:05 EST 2003

Hi Riaan,

* On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:17:21AM +0200, Riaan van Boom wrote:
> I am a new Linux and uClinux user.

so at first a "Welcome!" to you! :)

> I have no idea what i'm doing.

Oh. So you should find that out, because nobody here can answer that
for you. ;)

> Can anybody indicate a good starting point for me?

Yes.

> I am using the Motorola Coldfire processor.

Do you have an evaluation board or something? If not I think
you should order one for the processor you are interested in.
You can find many different boards for the ColdFire processors,
for instance at http://e-www.motorola.com, http://www.snapgear.com,
http://www.uclinux.net etc.

If you already have an eval board:
Connect your hardware as required.
Go to http://www.uclinux.org. Read the info there.
Go to http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/m68k-elf-tools/ and
download the m68k-elf-20030314 binaries (read on the page how to
install them).
Go to http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/dist/ and download
the "Full Source Distribution" (read on the page how to unpack them
and how to compile a first image).
Read the README in the uClinux-dist toplevel directory as well
as any documents you think would be useful under
uClinux-dist/Documentation/, especially the ColdFire-HOWTO and
the FAQ.
Go to http://www.ucdot.org. It is a web portal for everything
concerning uClinux. You will find very much useful information
there.
The archive of the uClinux-dev mailing list is at
https://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/.
There is a searchable archive of this mailing list at
http://mailman.uclinux.org/htdig/.

If you have specific questions, please ask here.

Rgds.
Heiko.