[uClinux-dev] application size limitation?

Van Rafelghem, Dominique VanRafelghemD at intheairnet.com
Thu Mar 27 21:11:44 EST 2003

Hello,

I am at the beginning of a project were I will be developing some C++
application for a ColdFire 5272 processor with 16 Meg of RAM.  I currently
using the m68k-elf-20030314 toolset and the uClinux-dist-20030305.tar.gz
full distribution.
I can design my application as one big monolithic app using thread for the
different layers of control or I can write a bunch of little apps and use
some interprocess communications mechanism.  The advantage of writing one
large app is that I can build it on a different target (say windows), test
it and then port it to the uClinux platform.  With a bunch of little apps
this will be more difficult plus the interprocess communication could get in
the way.
The questions I have are the following:
1. I read somewhere that in the past there was an application size
limitation on uClinux.  Is this still the case?
2. Has anyone used threads in their applications on uClinux?
3. Is it better to write a bunch of small apps in uClinux or is the one
large app approach OK?
Dominque Van Rafelghem