[uClinux-dev] RAM File System

Andy Pichotta apichotta at controlproductsinc.com
Wed Mar 26 09:32:27 EST 2003

Thanks Vadim and Nicolas for your reply,

I have both CONFIG_TMPFS=y and CONFIG_RAMFS=y.
I can "mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt" and that seems
to work fine, I can copy files to and from ramfs.

What confused me was the help file in menu_config
that says ramfs "is more of a programming example
than a usable file system".
For this reason I thought I would check out tmpfs
which is under "virtual memory file system support"
in config.  It compiles fine but I don't see it
appearing in /proc/filesystems:

# cat /proc/filesystems
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc
nodev   sockfs
nodev   pipefs
          ext2
nodev   nfs
         romfs
nodev   ramfs

If ramfs os okay to use I am fine with that, but just
wondering why tmpfs does not show up here.

I found this in archive saying tmpfs works under uclinux:
http://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/2003-February/015377.ht
ml

Seems to be something conflicting about the message though
because it says to enable "Virtual Memory Filesystem support"
tmpfs) then it shows ramfs showing up in /proc/filesystems.

Thanks,
Andy