[uClinux-dev] Combining bin files

Lars-Åke Ekstrand lars-ake.ekstrand at intellicom.se
Wed Mar 26 03:20:11 EST 2003

Hi,

we use the following method to acomplish what you are after:

#
# Sizes of the flash partitions in kbytes
#
BOOTSIZE = 64
KERNELSIZE = 832

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=$(BOOTSIZE) of=$(IMAGEDIR)/null.bin
cat $(IMAGEDIR)/colilo.bin $(IMAGEDIR)/null.bin > $(IMAGEDIR)/colilo-null.bin
dd if=$(IMAGEDIR)/colilo-null.bin bs=1024 count=$(BOOTSIZE) of=$(IMAGEDIR)/colilo-aligned.bin
rm $(IMAGEDIR)/null.bin
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=$(KERNELSIZE) of=$(IMAGEDIR)/null.bin
cat $(IMAGEDIR)/zimage.bin $(IMAGEDIR)/null.bin > $(IMAGEDIR)/zimage-null.bin
dd if=$(IMAGEDIR)/zimage-null.bin bs=1024 count=$(KERNELSIZE) of=$(IMAGEDIR)/zimage-aligned.bin
cat $(IMAGEDIR)/colilo-aligned.bin $(IMAGEDIR)/zimage-aligned.bin > $(IMAGEDIR)/bootimage.bin
rm $(IMAGEDIR)/zimage-null.bin $(IMAGEDIR)/zimage-aligned.bin $(IMAGEDIR)/colilo-null.bin $(IMAGEDIR)/colilo-aligned.bin

This piece is cut from a Makefile. Basically it pads the colilo image so it grows in size to fill the flash up to where the kernel image begins. Then it concaternates the two images into one image called bootimage.bin.

/Regards
Lars-Ake