[uClinux-dev] minicom from uclinux

Andrey Butok Andrey.Butok at iss.org.ua
Wed Mar 26 02:01:08 EST 2003

Hello

David McCullough wrote:
>>tip does set the appropriate flags in the driver.  If your driver does
>>not support xon/xoff or rts/cts handshaking then that is another thing.

Yes I am fully agree with you. The "tip" just only sets flags of lower
driver => the "tip" does not handle signals of flow control (as I tried to
say before!!). So it should be implemented by the "mcfserial". Is not it?

But Greg Ungerer wrote:
>>Works for me. Off-course flow control relies on both ends
>>of the conection being setup to do the same thing. But I
>>use flow control with the mcfserial ports a lot (mostly
>>with pppd and modems) and it works fine.

Yes with using "pppd" , it works!!. So it the signals of the Flow Control
are handled by the application (in this case "pppd"), the "mcfserial" does
not do it?

Hm.

So please give me the direct answer whose is this job?
1) The applications ( like "tip", "minicom", "pppd" etc)
2) Low level drivers ( like "mcfserial")
3) Both
4) No body
5) Somebody else
6) Or who wants (no rules)?

Best regards
Andrey

> > !!But "on practice" it does not handle xon/xof or rts/cts signals. It
means
> > it declare the functionality, only, but do nothing.
>
> tip does set the appropriate flags in the driver.  If your driver does
> not support xon/xoff or rts/cts handshaking then that is another thing.

>         if (software)
>         tio.c_iflag |= IXON | IXOFF;
>         if (hardware)
>            tio.c_cflag |= CRTSCTS;