[uClinux-dev] Re: Tiny memory

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Tue Mar 25 18:58:17 EST 2003

Hi John,

John Williams wrote:
>> Below is the output log of a uClinx/ColdFire kernel
>> and filesystem limited to 1MB on a Motorola M5272C3 board.
>> Kernel is 2.4.20, only app configured is a shell. I left
>> the proc fs enabled just for fun, networking is disabled.
>> Kernel and filesystem are in RAM, and this setup
>> actually loses the first 128k of the 1MB of RAM (due to
>> being compitible with the dBUG firmware of the M5272C3
>> board, so it is really 896k :-)
>

> [snip depressing and seemingly far away uClinux bootup log!]
>
> Ok Ok so I believe you now!  Well I believed you all along actually.
>
> Now here's the big question, did you enable the page_alloc2 stuff, or
> just use the standard settings?

No, not using PAGE_ALLOC2. This is the standard allocator.

>  That's the key to my question, I need
> to determine whether it's my small memory size that's causing my slab.c
> BUG() (in which case I could use page_alloc2), or if something else is
> rotten, and it just manifests itself in slab.c.  The more I see, the
> more I think it's the latter ... back to the debugger :(

At this point I agree. I think something else is amiss, I don't
think it is the fact that you have a small memory...

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Wizard        EMAIL:  gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Pty Ltd                               PHONE:    +61 7 3435 2888
Woolloongabba, QLD, 4102, Australia              WEB:   www.SnapGear.com