[uClinux-dev] Re: Tiny memory

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Tue Mar 25 06:23:05 EST 2003

Jivin John Willlams lays it down ...
> From: David McCullough <davidm at snapgear.com>
> >Jivin Miles Bader lays it down ...
>
> >> I'd recommend just spending the effort now to get more memory working;
> >> you're going to have to do it eventually anyway (even if you could
>
> >I agree.
> >
> >You could, however, try the page_alloc2 stuff
> (CONFIG_CONTIGUOUS_PAGE_ALLOC),
> >it should get you by the immediate problem with big slabs,
>
> Yep, I saw that CONFIG option at the top of slab.c the controls the static
> slab size arrays.
>
> However, I've got Greg in my other ear saying "it should work in 1 meg"!

I agree with that too ;-)

You should be able to get it to go in 1Mb and you will also be well
served by getting the extra RAM going :-)

> A bit of internal biffo at SnapGear this afternoon maybe! :)

Doh,  I must have missed it,  maybe tomorrow there will be some biffo ;-)

> I'll have a closer look at the code tomorrow and make up my mind.

You can turn on the CONFIG_CONTIGUOUS_PAGE_ALLOC,  a quick recompile.

You can try tuning down you kernel size by removing networking and
everything else that you don't absolutely have to have.  A little more
work but not too hard.

You can get everything going with larger RAM.  I have no idea how hard
that will be for you ;-)