[uClinux-dev] Re: Tiny memory

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Tue Mar 25 02:14:48 EST 2003

Hi Miles, John,

Miles Bader wrote:
> John Williams <jwilliams at itee.uq.edu.au> writes:
>
>>Realistically, is it time for me to get some more memory (my little baby
>>is growing up so fast :) There's also 32MB of fairly fast DDR on this
>>board, but I'll have to fiddle to get a controller up and running.
>

> I've tried a few times to get uclinux running with very low RAM, and it
> have always run afoul of various bugs and assumptions in the code, to the
> point where it seemed like more trouble that it's worth.
>
> I'd recommend just spending the effort now to get more memory working;
> you're going to have to do it eventually anyway (even if you could get it
> to work in some fashion, it's unlikely to result in a practical system),
> and doing so now saves you having to deal with generic uclinux memory
> management bugs in addition to your own platform-specific bugs.

I have run on the ColdFire in 1MB of RAM. In fact all my
initial ColdFire porting and development work was done on
a 1MB board... That included a small romfs with a shell too.

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Wizard        EMAIL:  gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Pty Ltd                               PHONE:    +61 7 3435 2888
Woolloongabba, QLD, 4102, Australia              WEB:   www.SnapGear.com