[uClinux-dev] Re: Tiny memory

Miles Bader miles at lsi.nec.co.jp
Mon Mar 24 23:57:43 EST 2003

John Williams <jwilliams at itee.uq.edu.au> writes:
> Realistically, is it time for me to get some more memory (my little baby
> is growing up so fast :) There's also 32MB of fairly fast DDR on this
> board, but I'll have to fiddle to get a controller up and running.

I've tried a few times to get uclinux running with very low RAM, and it
have always run afoul of various bugs and assumptions in the code, to the
point where it seemed like more trouble that it's worth.

I'd recommend just spending the effort now to get more memory working;
you're going to have to do it eventually anyway (even if you could get it
to work in some fashion, it's unlikely to result in a practical system),
and doing so now saves you having to deal with generic uclinux memory
management bugs in addition to your own platform-specific bugs.

-Miles
--
`Life is a boundless sea of bitterness'